"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Friday, January 12, 2007

10 Frequently Heard Excuses for Overdue Library Books

1. "I already returned the book." (Library staff will make every effort to locate these items.)

2. "My brother (sister, whoever) used my card and now HE can't find the book." (Moral: never lend your card to anyone!)

3. "I never took that book out - even though it appears on my borrowing record." (Known to library staffers as the "phantom circulation!")

4. "We've moved. The book got packed by accident. Now, we don't know which box it's in."

5. "The book was in my car and it was stolen (wrecked, etc.)."

6. "My ex got custody of all the books in the divorce settlement."

7. "I didn't know you charged fines."

8. "I'm filing for bankruptcy and my lawyer says I'm not responsible."

9. "I don't have any money." (Library staff will work with you to develop a workable payment plan.)

10. "I thought this was the free library so I kept the book as long as I wanted!"

Free Library of Philidelphia. Accessed 01/12/07. http://www.library.phila.gov/registration/material.htm. 2007

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't have too many bankrupts or divored persons borrowing books from the Furr Library. dB

Anonymous said...

my friend was the one that had to move...i told her to do a special box for overdue books...but did she listen..? NOOOOOOOOOO

and now idk how much she owes